Thursday, February 12, 2009

intentional obsession: farmers market bicycle


In the depths of January I mentioned that I desperately wanted the Gary Fisher Simple City bicycle. Since that post, two events have occurred.

The first fleeting interaction I had with an actual Simple City bike was through the Johnny Sprockets window, "conveniently" on my daily path to ship FedEx orders. The Simple City bicycle in the window was white and yellow-y mint green; perhaps some throwback color to a strange floral print in the 50's or bad shag carpet in the 60's. The color was hideous and my urge to get the bike vanished. My wallet heaved a sigh of relief.
The second encounter was not so budget friendly. The store has since replaced the offensive green and white bicycle* with a beautiful popcorn cream Simple City with white basket (pictured). It is darling. It is still expensive.

The drama continues.


*Note: When referring to a $969 piece of art, one cannot even consider using the word "bike" - ever noticed that?

5 comments:

  1. Ah yes. The 'bikes are not art' conundrum. I feel you on this one. I have a similar 'chairs are not art' problem, in particular for this little number: http://tinyurl.com/d2xqoj

    Apparently, my husband can't justify spending $1500 art you can sit on...

    The link button looks AWESOME by the way---thanks so much for putting it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think bicycling is an art in the modern developed transportation world. It also help body to keep fit as riding it is really a kind of physical exercise. Anyway I got through the intentional obsession. The story you tell really a good read to me. And would like to leave my thanks for detailing about the City Bicycle. The pictures also look so crazy and elegant to me. Keep up please such a good work. I also inclined to put a popular cycle related site that also is able to draw the bicycle fans and lovers. https://www.jxcycles.com/news/why-bicycle-business-popular.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information. ebike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work! World Market Link

    ReplyDelete