Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines Day: Cooking Classes

The romantic candlelit setting.

I return back to the jewelry studio tired but with a smile on my face from all the fun I had this weekend. My boyfriend, Erwin, is very thoughtful and romantic- which means Valentine's Day at our "house" (really, it's more of a tiny studio than a house) is always an adventure. This year was no exception.

For weeks leading up to February 14th, I desperately tried to guess what he had planned. I had convinced myself that he got us tickets to one of those big boat dinner cruises that go around the lake and you stare at the Chicago skyline. But I was wrong.

At 6:00PM on Valentine's night we pulled up to Kendall College. Somewhere online he had found a Valentine's Day couples cooking class. I was surprised and very excited; cooking has become a hobby of mine in the last few months. The class was structured so that a chef taught everyone how to prepare a six course meal, then it was up to the cooking couples to prepare the dishes, and later head up to a fancy dining area to enjoy our hard work.

Ahem, never thought I would post a picture with a chef hat.
Our workstation had pre-measured ingredients.
Needless to say, the meal was amazing and I am completely impressed that the dishes were fancy and easy to make. Over the next week or so I will post one recipe at a time so that you may follow along and recreate the dishes yourself. I promise that they are all simple but look very impressive when served. I also definitely recommend checking out Kendall's other "Spice Up Your Life" cooking classes - next on my list is learning to frost floral cake decorations!
The dining area where we ate our "hearts" out and met some great people.

2 comments: